Saturday, October 2, 2010

Useful Resources for Preparing to Teach Rocks and Minerals Unit


Last week Leah and I met up to work on our first lesson plan for teaching 4th graders the Rocks and Minerals kit.

I'm a big fan of video and multimedia educational resources, so I found these websites helpful and enjoyable:

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History has a wealth of nicely designed and accessible information on rocks. Lots of this content is appealing to a wide range of ages--its museum quality! SMNH also has a function that combines their units with state standards! (I'll definitely be using this feature again!)


Bill Nye the science guy on minerals and soil: Bill's a bit fast paced, but he makes learning fun and the coolness factor is probably pretty high with 9-10 year olds. Bill also calls his viewers 'scientists' which is definitely cool! Here he is again on volcanoes and the earth's crust. And ftw with a rock video on rocks! Rocks Rock Harder (its meta and informative!)



After plenty of google searching I discovered thousands of websites providing educational material on rocks and minerals (I also read them all, so I feel pretty confident in teaching fourth graders about rocks and minerals!). There was massive variety, and naturally some sites were better than others. Here are some that I thought were pretty good:

Click-able slide show of basic rock & mineral specimens Simplicity and clean design along with good information make this site a nice resource! The pictures make it appealing for younger ages and the information is scientifically accurate and precise.

Obsidian is volcanic glass - a rock rather than a mineral, it is a mixture of cryptocrystalline grains of silica minerals in a glass-like suspension, a super-cooled liquid.

Chart detailing the rock cycle Lots of information presented graphically. This makes a nice addition to something more fun, like a rock video about the rock cycle.

You are my density: an activity for kids based on the density of rocks. Lots of other resources on the earth sciences on this site too.

Ask a geologist from the US Geological Survey!--anyone can email them a question and they'll answer it! (as long as youre not spam)...make sure to read this faq before emailing a question! (they provide concise answers to questions like what the difference is between a rock and mineral)

The BBC does a flash animation on basic rock experimentation, suitable for younger ages.

There are loads of online and analog resources for teaching students about rocks and minerals. I hope I can inspire them with all this information!

PS. Just found this link of Top Ten New Teacher Mistakes
I will working hard to avoid all of these mistakes!

And interesting ways to increase student engagement --these are from Dylan Williams in a recent BBC documentary. Excellent strategies that I will surely test out!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Ben. You sound so excited to teach this unit and I am betting that your enthusiasm combined with Leah's will provide for a really fun science class! Looking forward to hearing from all my classmates about our first teaching units...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resources Ben!! I'll definitely be using them to brush up on my knowledge before teaching!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete